Forum Navigation

The FM2006 Nuneaton Borough Challenge - Season 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: The FM2006 Nuneaton Borough Challenge - Season 3 Reply with quote

Here is the report for the third season of the Nuneaton Borough Challenge. The second season's report can be found here.

Both myself and Gragoyle got promoted last season so he begins the season in League Two whereas I will be playing in the Confernece National.

Game On!

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's kick off this thread with the pre-season summary Smile

So, it seems that once again my decision to base my team around experience has come back to haunt me as no less than 8 players and two coaches announce that they will retire at the end of the season Sad In addition to this, nearly all my reserve team are shown the door. With the step up in divisions plenty of squad strengthening was required! Firstly tho, I secure a few of my more valueable assets on longer full time contracts to hopefully stabalise the core of my squad. Once again my poor left winger is subjected to a barrage of offers from higher teams which leaves him very unsettled Sad I am determineed to keep hold of him as he is well respected by all of my other players and the team would certainly take a big knock without his leadership.

My assistant manager informs me that I will need to strengthen the squad if I wish to stay in the division and judging by his rating it seems that my defence is the weakest part - something I would have to agree with. I am determined to avoid changing too much with regards to my main squad by only bringing in a few new players there and the others to go in the reserves or U18s.

The first player I bring in is ex-Weymouth defender Matthew Bound who has spent just over a season at League Two side Lincoln and will hopefully be a good role model for my younger DCs who were playing at the back last season. In addition I picked up a usefull player from Rushden who has not done so well there but able to play in defence or midfield, left or central and hopefully shine a bit more in the conference national. I also bring in a few players to pad out my reserves and offer a bit of cover for injuries.

My midfield is probably my stongest area, but even so I still bring in two new players. The first is Darren Ferguson from L2 side Wrexham. He is also retiring at the end of the season and also didn't want to get paid so I was more than happy to bring him on board Smile I also aquired the services of a young but talented central midfielder from a championship side on a 3 month loan.

I have also gone for three strikers, two on 3 month loan deals and one to purchase. The player I tried to buy has already said he does not wish to move to Nuneaton and so the contract I offered him will no doubt be rejected in the next few days. The two loanees are both unwanted at their current clubs, 19 years old and seem to have talent - yet neither have impressed in matches. I am hoping that a loan spell will coax some goals out of one or both of them which would lead to a permanent move.

My friendly results started off well, even tho I fell 2-1 at home to Sheffield United. I managed to play well in that game and the next two. Unfortunatly it did not continue and the remaining 3 finished up rather miserable 1-1 draws. After considering thos, I shall have to agree with the media's odds on me getting promotion at 33-1 - It looks like my target will have to be to aim for a mid-table spot and hope that Gragoyle gets relegated Tounge

It's not all bad news tho as I found some real gems for the future Smile The first is a young 15 year old keeper who my scout was very keen to bring to my attention: possibly down to the fact that the media have labelled him as the next Paul Robinson. I was more than happy to take him on board, especially seeing as my reserve keeper has refused to sign a new contract. I'll be keeping an eye on him in the reseve league and his 4 clean sheets in 4 friendlies so far is a very good start Smile In addition, my scouts being keen to earn their keep have also unearthed an amazing talent in Adam Fletcher who already has the stats worthy of a champion player (minus being rubbish at set pieces) at 16 years of age. While he is probably more comfortable on the left wing, he is not going to replace my captain and so should find a home at left back. I'll be looking to secure him on a more permenant deal in mid-december when he'll turn 17 Smile

First game is against Hyde who also came up with me, despite having the disadvantage of being away, it'll be a good game to start the season campaign.

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Bouncy Castle Reply with quote

Following on from our defeat on the opening day of the new season I was pretty livid. Losing 2-0 to Hyde was not a good start since technically they are going to be one of the easier teams we would face. Worse was to come as my star player was rules out for a few months with an injury. However, it seemed my team was anxious to prove that they are not a one-man-army and rewarded me with three straight wins to lift me to 3rd in the table! We couldn't maintain the winning ways tho and it was top-of-the-table Barnet who put us back in our place and then letting 10-man Cambridge come back (twice) to force a draw at our ground did not help. Up until now we'd been on fire infront of goal, with 14 goals scored after 6 games.

For some reason our forwards dried up and we went into an 8 game slump with only one narrow win which dropped us down to 15th. I should probably be grateful that the slump was not far worse since for most of this period I had somehow managed to aquire injuries to no-less than four of my keepers! Very frustrating seeing as I was outside the transfer window, i'd used up my allocation of concurrent loanees and my young wonderkid was still too young to play professional football Sad

The return of my captain and an FA Cup Qualifier match against Sittingbourne was the catalyst to getting the season back on track. After pushing them aside we won 6 of the next 8 games to lift us back up to 7th.

I have to admit to being very hard on my poor players. After gaining promotion we were forecast to battle to stay in the league, yet they've fought hard and have double the amount of points of the relegation candidates. If it wasn't for Gragoyle's success I could be very proud to be where I am. With almost half the season gone, we're still a massive 13 points behind the leaders Barnet but only one point off a playoff spot (although the teams there have a game in hand). It looks like Barnet are going to run away with the league title but no reason why I can't grab a playoff spot and even if I do get one I've beaten half the teams above me already this season so I have a good chance of doing well in that Smile

There is good news play-wise too. While Roberts has been forced to take a backseat in his last season, his influence lives on in young Ben Mackay who was one of my first signings at the club. While his first two seasons under Roberts' wing were nothing to shout about, this season he's really made his mark. 21 games into the season and he's already equalled Roberts' goal scoring record of 16 goals in a season. Little Jamie King and his Irish counterpart Derek Walsh have been doing equally well in the U18s with 29 goals and 12 assists between them. King also managing to grab two goals and two assists in his 5 appearances for the main squad. The highly talented Adam Fletcher also did very well on the left wing when he stood in for my injured captain and also when asked to play left back. He's still 2 weeks away from his 17th birthday so I can forgive the few mistakes he makes especially when he has put in some outstanding performances. The young keeper I found has also done well despite being out injured for a while. He's managed to get 10 clean sheets in 14 starts and has been constantly improving in training.

While the U18s themselves have been playing fantastically well, they find themselves a point behind leaders Aston Villa in the U18s group 5. Contrast this to my reserves who have overall not played nearly as well yet are 8 points clear at the top of the Reserves group 4 with a game in hand.

Hopefully tho, with my Reserves and U18s doing so well, my main team will rise to the challenge so as not to be outdone by them Smile

Anyway, here is the match stats:
Pos 7th Pld 21 W 11 D 3 L 7 F 36 A 25 GD +11

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another update Smile

Things had continued to look very bright overall for us in the league, Hyde and Macclesfield being the only to teams to put a dent in our run over the next 10 matches. This run included a 1:1 draw with high-flyers Barnet - A result I was definitely pleased about given the fact that they had a 12 point lead at the top of the table. After 31 games I was sitting 4th but by no means securely. The two teams between me and Barnet were 3 and 6 points ahead and both with better goal difference wheras if I dropped a single game it could see me falling to 7th Sad

The afore-mentioned Hyde and Macclesfield games had come one after the other and clearly my team had lost some of it's edge. It was fortunate then that the next game was an FA Trophy match against ECS side St Albans. Since I'd been kicked out of the FA Cup by Peterborough 2 months previously, I was quite keen to try and retain the FA Trophy. Despite this, the team that ran out against St Albans saw 7 new faces from the Reserves and U18 squads. I didn't see this as necessarily fielding a weak squad tho, as some of those had been exceptional in their respective other matches. It was not really a very encouraging game, however. Despite being the better side on the day, an own goal for us and a penalty for them meant that we only won a replay back at our ground. This was played out 4 days later and proved to be a very different game. With 5 of my regulars to guide them the team scooped up the win with 3 goals and some fine performances all round Smile

My good fortune in cup draws continued when despite having an away draw it was against the only remaining non-league team left in the competition. Poor Salisbury did not stand much chance with us going into the lead after only 2 minutes and increasing that lead with a penalty half an hour later. Despite them reducing the difference just before half-time it was not to be their day and their keeper earned himself an early bath after taking the legs away from my 17 year old irish striker as he burst free on a speedy run. My utility defender converted his second penalty of the day and to add insult to injury, Mackey grabbed his 23rd goal of the season on the 80th minute to make it 4-1.

Once again, luck in the draws prevailed and the 4th round draw saw us with a home tie against ECS side Dorchester who are the only non-conference side left Smile

The transfer window came and went without me needing to sign any new players. Infact, I am having quite a few troubles in selection since so many of my players are performing fantastically. Not a problem I would complain about tho Tounge I did let a few of my less impressive reserves leave tho - the most interesting bid came in for Pritchard who was joint top scorer for me last season but failed to find the net in 8 games this season. He was only valued at 20K and so Gretna's offer of "425K after 40 league goals and 30% of next transfer" seemed like a good deal. However, after checking up on him afterwards it seems that it was me that was ripped-off since he is so far looking set to make sure that I never recieve a penny by coming up empty on each of his 4 games for them so far Sad

Still, despite being 2.4K per week over wage budget I am not in any financial difficulties. I have over half a million in the bank and making money every month. This is one area where I do beat Barnet as their finances are looking shaky and they have had to let go of a few of their good players recently which has left their squad quite small. Something which could cause them troubles if they are hit with a few key injuries. Perhaps this will have a bearing on how the final third of the season pans out? Smile

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As could probably have been expected, Barnet suffered not one bit for their money-troubles and soon wrapped up the division title and left the rest of us scrambling for play-off spots during the remaining 10 or so games. It was shaping up to be one hell of a fight to keep hold of one of those four life-lines with barely 4 points between 2nd to 9th place. I was full of hopes of taking a playoff spot for my team as I was sitting on an unbeaten run of 14 games which was equal to the club's record. Next up was Torquay which was always going to be a tough game since they had been sitting in the playoff area all season and had even been top for a week and a half during the one period that Barnet had not been there. Thus I was very pleased to walk away from the away game with a 1:1 draw to make a new record of 15 games unbeaten Smile

Unfortunatly I was unable to extend this record as I would come crashing down to two deafeats in a row to fellow play-off hopefulls York and Scarborough - although the second was an FA Trophy Semi Final first leg match. While I managed to bounce back a little and beat Scarborough 3:2 in the second leg of the FA Trophy (to go through on away goals rule) it was quite clear that my poor players were suffering a bit of burn-out.

I'd been pushing my team so very hard in their first season in this division and they had done so very well to be so high up at this late stage - especially considering that my playmaker (and universally loved captain) had missed over half the season with 4 seperate injuries. My captain had returned from his latest injury by the next game against struggling Weymouth. With 6 games left to secure a position I needed him back to match fitness and so he took a spot on the bench and I planned to give him 15-20 minutes run out in what should have been an easy game. Everything seemed to be going to plan when Weymouth were reduced to 10 men after only 8 minutes and we went into the break with a 2 goal lead. Something seemed to go hideously wrong 10 minutes into the second half tho as a breakdown of communication in my defence left Davison of Weymouth with two unmissable opportunities to even the scores within 3 minutes of each other. Panic set in as a draw would see me drop out of the play-off positions and my captain was brought in ten minutes earlier than I planned in place of the loanee left winger who had been solely responsible for atleast one of the opposition's goals. True to form he surpassed my expectations by firing home the winning goal - a feat that proved to be a small sacrifice on his part as it aggrivated his previous ankle injury and left him being treated by the physios as the whistle for full time was blown.

Fortunatly, this did not result in anymore injury time for him but was a set-back in his fitness. The top of the table was still so very tight which caused no end of frustration when the next game produced no goals while visiting Morcambe (who would take the final relegation spot by the time the season ended). Next up was a home tie against Farnborough, already relegated so had nothing to play for (playing for pride wasn't even in the equation being 9 points behind their nearest rivals), surely I could get a result in that match? 0:0 at half time was nothing to be happy about at all! It was supersub Jamie King which would turn the game around by coming on at half time and netting two goals in the 53rd and 75 minute. Interestingly both goals were set-up my the previously mentioned loanee left winger in what turned out to be a MoM performance in his second appearance for us. A goal for our opposition meant that the last 10 minutes were very tence but fortunatly it had been the last goal of the match.

So, now we're down to the last four matches and despite there still only being 2 points between me in second place and the team in 7th I had the fortune that all of my remaining opposition were mid-table opponents with no chance of a playoff place and safe from relegation. Surely wrapping up the playoff place would be easy now? Not quite. Against both Tamworth and Gravesend I took the lead and both times threw it away to record two miserable 1:1 draws. Through sheer luck I was still second place - this was probably partially due to Torquay taking a nose-dive and failing to win any games in their last 8 and so miss out on a playoff spot on the very last game of the season.

Second to last game and I face Chester - They were securely in the bottom third and I had thrashed them 4:1 at their place earlier on. A solid performance in the first half saw us going into the break 1:0 up despite losing my second-best striker to injury. If results went my way the win would guarentee our playoff spot. With my captain playing superbly but still not upto match-fitness I replaced him with one of my star youngsters for the second half and almost regretted it when our opposition equalised 5 minutes into the half. I should not have been so hastly to doubt tho and the talented youngster lived up to his hype by setting up the goal that would restore our lead 7 minutes later. The win was cemented in the dying minutes with a 3rd goal Smile

That was enough to secure us a playoff spot. This game me the chance to rest a few key players and increase the match fitness for a few other squad players in the trip to Forest Green. In hind-sight I should have rested more than I did as despite my team putting in a performance to qualify as one of the best ever in a 3:0 win; a key injury to my defensive midfielder was definitely not good news - his thigh strain would see him missing the playoff matches and FA Trophy final :/ This was another blow to our chances seeing as he'd played in 37 of our matches and had proved to be a superb deputy captain at only 23. Foolishly, I'd let my DM of last season fall out of fitness in the reserves after he'd announced his retirement at 42 years old. I'd have no choice but to play the only match fit alternative in that important spot - a 25 year old who has been playing way above his class and only included in the squad due to his versatility. Fortunatly, my only other main injury was my second choice striker but my main striker and two young backups were all in top form so we had adequate cover.

Despite a defensive stance being taken in the first leg visit to Aldershot, both teams were fired up and looking for goals. With both teams probably deserving more goals than they got. In the end it was a goal for each of my strikers, one at the end of each half, that cancelled out Aldershot's 68th minute equaliser and gave us a good cushion to take into the home leg. With the knowledge that our visitors would be forced to push for goals, I reluctantly made a single change in the lineup to form a more attacking formation in an effort to grab a goal or two and finish them off. This very nearly paid off as it was only some fine last-minute defending by Aldershot that aborted two chances we had in the first minute of the game. The matches slowed down a little after that still but kept up the pressure and were quite unfortunate not to score while easily keeping our opponents from getting near our own goal. Halftime arrived and I couldn't say a bad word about anyone. Expecting more of the same in the second half I decided to rest my captain for the final aswell as making a second substitution to give a more solid shape in midfield. Arrogance is a nasty trait and I was justly punished for assuming that Aldershot were defeated. On the hour mark, Aldershot had their lifeline despite failing to have a single attempt on goal in the first half! Clearly their manager had managed to instil some fight back into his side. Still, at 1:0 down it was not the end of the world and I was still ahead on goal difference so after a brief tweak to tactics play resumed once more. Disaster! barely 4 minutes after Aldershot had got their first goal they grabbed a second. I was dumstuck, everything was falling apart and my team were playing like amateurs. In a panic move I threw on a third striker in place of my right winger whose fitness was failing him and threw everyone forward. 5 minutes from the final whistle and my top scorer finally found a way past the keeper and pulled one back for us to force extra time. Another 30 minutes was not good news, a quick check of the team showed that my subs had left me with no choice but to play several players out of position in order to have some kind of sensible shape. I refused to have to play out for penalties, especially since i'd been justified of a win uptil the second half of this leg. I was at home, dammit, and In front of a reocrd-breaking 6,487 fans no less! Reality tho forced me to side with caution a little and so I fielded a 4-1-2-3 formation with a slight emphasis on speedy attacking but not too much seeing as another goal against would sink me and there were an awful lot of tired legs. The fans would certainly be getting their money's worth as the game continued to cause upsets. The young lad Walsh had been playing an outstanding game and after two and a half minutes he grabbed a muchly-deserved goal to send the home support into rapture. Not content with that he added a second ten minutes later, surely NOW we were through to the final. Aldershot still refused to stay dead and just before the short break managed to claw a goal back to reduce our lead to a rather shakey one. It seemed my only option at this late stage was to switch to a rather silly 5-1-1-3 formation and hang on to my lead for dear-life. Despite both teams coming very close, the final 15 was unable to produce any more goals to the delight of me and my team. So ended one of the most exciting games of the campaign and we still had another game to go before we could claim to have won anything :/

There would be 6 days to rest before we'd play the FA Trophy Final, and then a further week till the playoff final, a twist of fate would see us facing York on both occasions! The two previous matches in the league had seen the home side taking the three points on each occasion - so anything could happen when we met at neutral ground. After the gruelling playoff semi-final match I was probably fortunate that only young Jamie King would miss the final through injury. However, with us facing the same team in the FA Trophy before battling them again for the chance to gain promotion it threw up some interesting options. Should I go in hard in the cup match and try and injure a few key York players to give me a better chance in the playoff final or should I put out a full strength squad and try to grab the win and demoralise my opponent? Food for thought there, but one thing I was sure on was that I did not want any of my key players playing extra time and also my captain would get a rest seeing as a yellow card in the cup match would mean he'd miss the playoff final and I could not risk that.

The lineup for the cup final would see several youngsters enter the first team in addition to a few reserves picking up the places on the bench. I had decided to try and rest my troubled defence also also, just for fun, gave my 16 year old starlet keeper his first appearance in the main squad Smile He was tested within the second minute but managed to palm the shot to safety. Both sets of fans had reason to cheer in the first half: we took an early lead after 5 minutes with a great little break-away but York got a deserved equaliser 15 minutes later when a parried shot fell to their striker for an easy tap-in. With an eye to the next game, I made two subs at half time, one being to rest one of my strikers seeing as injury had deprived me of my only other two inform replacements. It was our opposition who started the second half the better team so it was perhaps unfair that my reserve striker fired home to give us the lead on the 73rd minute. If that wasn't enough it was a clear injustice when he got his second 2 minutes later to kill York's cup dreams and award us the FA Trophy for a second season in a row Smile

More important than a good performance was the aftermath: Firstly there was the £50k awarded to us to add to our growing bank balence and while the previous match had seen over a thousand extra fans come out to see us play, the FA Trophy match TRIPLED that with 18,110 people there to see us defeat York. Then there was the flood of praise and adoration from the Nuneaton board and fans but more importantly the fact that the York manager had been livid with his squad after the game and from the looks of his players as they boarded the coach home they were certainly not happy. Smile

On the day of the match there was further good news. York's 15-man first team was suffering from having 5 injuries in addition to their morale woes. After the last games performance I didn't have the heart to make changes, although my captain had to play this match and so space was made and a young defender was made to sit out of the line-up for this one - even my 16 year old keeper was kept between the sticks for this vital match!! It wouldn't have mattered if there was even anyone there at all in the first 35 minutes as both teams were execising much more caution in their play with what was at stake. Unfortunatly, it was a Nuneaton defefender that cracked first when a rash tackle from behind heard him an early bath and York the chance to take the lead from the penalty. With my keeper lacking in experience I immediatly regretted my decision to leave him in. I needent have worried tho as the York player chosen to take the spok kick was suffering from nerves too and blasted it wide. The extra man gave York a surge of confidence and my keeper was tested several times in normal play as York pushed forward and went for goal. Lady luck was wearing a Nuneaton shirt this time tho and it was us that took a 1:0 lead going into half-time - York gifting us a penalty of our own and my experienced captain certainly wasn't in danger of missing. It was a difficult decision to send out my team in a 4-3-2 formation for the second half. I wanted to swap a striker for an extra midfield man but decided that if York were to equalise then both strikers would be required for a penalty shoot-out. I breathed a sigh of relief when the York defender who had gifted us the penalty before earned himself a second yellow for a foul on the edge of the area. This was then changed to pure delight as my veteran Lithuanian winger cooly curled the free kick past the keeper Smile He almost got a second a short while later when York dared to give him a second free-kick on the edge of the area, unfortunatly this time the keeper was well placed. York made a few attempts to get back in the game but their efforts were easily stopped by my defenders and keeper. It was all over on the 75th minute tho when another York player earned himself a second yellow. We were unlucky not to grab another goal after that but the 2:0 win was more than enough to secure us promotion to league two for the 2008/09 season Smile

Wow! Quite a lengthy post! But then it may very well be the last as allegedly GraGoyle is bored of the game and thus the challenge is over Sad Still, might aswell add the season details while I'm here Smile

• Pld 46 W 24 D 12 L 10 F 80 A 46 Pts 84 (Promoted via playoffs)
  • Team top Goalscorer: Ben Mackey (33 overal goals in 44 apearances)
  • Conference Top Scorer: Ben Mackey (27 league goals in 37 appearances)
  • FA Trophy Winners Second time running
  • 1st and 3rd place in conference goal of the season
  • Mackey and Fletcher (starlet DL/ML) both named in players team of the year
  • Season profit £648k
  • Confernece National Most Team Goals: Nuneaton (87)
  • Conference National Average Rating: My 1st choice Captain and Playmaker (7.52)
  • Confernece National Oldest Player: Keith Jones (42) Tounge

-- Rei

GraGoyle
ZomBie Lord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow congratz mate! \o/ Smile

But tell me, as Iam intrigued as to what version of FM2006 you are running, since you claimed that "as they boarded the coach home they were certainly not happy."
I dont get visuals of the opposition or their coaches on my game! Tounge

As you correctly stated, Iam not goin to continue the challenge in the future, maybe in a few weeks tho.

(Steven Wright)
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, well it's an experimental patch and looks something like this:

##########
##########
########## <--- York FC Team Coach
##########
##########
###OO#####
##OOOO####
____OO_________ Confused Sad Sad Sad Sad Confused Sad Crying or Very sad Sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad <--- Defeated York Players waiting to board coach

--------------

I was very proud of the lads anyway as they did very well to achieve promotion Smile I've got to focus on working on the new site for the next few weeks anyway so OK if you not up to continuing anytime soon. Don't leave it that long tho as I'll want to see how the teams copes in league two eventually Smile

-- Rei
GraGoyle
ZomBie Lord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

(Steven Wright)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Games All times are BST
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: