Forum Navigation

FM2007 Fisher Athletic Challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GraGoyle
ZomBie Lord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, its a shame you cant seem to emulate the success of your previous attempt - strange how pretty much the same team, the same manager / tactics can achieve such different results?

Teddy Sheringham!!?? That must be a bug surely? Tho I appreciate he is 40 years old now, you wouldnt go from the premiership to a non league team!

I havent had time tonight to play, just got back from cinema - watched saw 3 which is very good and unbelievably gory!! Spurs on tomorrow night so like I said will boot up after football fri evening.... looking forward to it too!!

(Steven Wright)
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yeah, but then since we're so low down quite a few of the players have random stats. Certainly the same players which were better last time are not this time. Plus a lot of my success in the first attempt was undoubtedly do to the loanee keeper I had - this season I can't seem to attract anyone on loan.

It's not really a bug since they don't want him and he's draining 13k per week out of their budget. They want him off the wage bill and so are probably happy to give him away since he's only worth 100k to them. Maybe unrealistic that he did not just reject me completely, but it is highly unlikely that any conference team could afford his financial demands and so he's not likely to go to any.

Anyway, looking like I shall have to be happy with mid-table this season, can't string enough decent results together to even dream of promotion. Bring on the secend season already Wink

Fox: I think we should call it... your grave!

Whedon: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Fox: Ha ha HA! Mine is an evil laugh...now die!

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say I wasn't going to play anymore till the patch but, meh I decided to play some more anyway Tounge In hindsight it probably wasn't such a good idea as after building up a good run and finding a striking partnership that was getting great results, a small injury to one of them seemed to kill off my whole team's fortunes. A run of ten games with only 1 win sent me plummeting towards the relegation zone with little indication of my players being able to turn it around. Fortunatly, March has brought us a much needed win against struggling Thurrock to level us out at 14th, 10 points clear of relegation with 10 games remaining. Only 11 points away from a playoff spot too but I see that as an impossible dream now this season given my team's inability to find the back of the net regularly enough.

Still, securing a mid-table position this season is not such a bad result Smile

Poor Teddy tho, he's now been kicked out of West Ham and languishes in the pool of unemployment. I did try to offer him a home but once again he refused to lower himself to the depths of the ECS.

I have made some more signings tho. My first and only loanee I managed to attract is Barnet's Ishmail Yakabu - a player I rated very highly during an FM05 Barnet campaign. He's not as good as his previous incarnations but has stood firm in the 14 games he's played for me. Unfortunatly, I only got him on a 3 month loan spell and he's rejected the chance to stay on for a further period. Danny Bolt, a previous favourite with Gragoyle during a Lincoln game, has also been brought into the fold. Although he's hardly set the world alight, he's put in some good performances and helped created 4 goals.

The most recent signing tho has been last challenge's hero, Iwan Roberts who has finally agreed to join me at the third time of asking. I probably have far too many strikers now, but with none really showing they deserve a place I'm hoping the extra competition will be good for them. He's yet to play a game tho so we shall have to wait and see how he does Smile

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seemed Roberts' presence gave my team a big lift. He settled in very quickly and with his help only lost two of the last games meaning we finished in a respectable 11th place. At last my team is gelling together (according to my assistant manager), but that's probably a bit too late since there is likely to be quite a few changes for next season.

Roberts has also found himself an additional role as Player/Coach after Doncaster stole my really good Assistant Manager and I promoted my Keeper as his replacement.

-- Rei

Last edited on Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007/08 season

With Grant still procrastinating over his game I might aswell post my second season exploits Tounge For some reason my second season takes place in the Conference North - I'm not sure if this is a bug in the game since Fisher are London-based and so very-much South.

A mass-culling was required after last season's none-too-inspiring campaign. The fact that pretty much all of my squad were on one-year contracts meant I could dispence with no-less than 24 players in the pre-season.

To counter this I used my 2k transfer kitty to full effect bringing in some very good players (considering the level Fisher play at). Experienced defenders Phil Babb (36), Paul Warhurst (37) and Mick Moody (47) were brought in to cut down on the goals conceeded. A 40 year old Dennis Wise also accepted a playing role in defensive midfield. These four along with my 48 year old keeper formed a solid base for the team and all played very well - Wise and Moody both achieving a respectable 7.12 avg over the season. Youth was also considered aswell tho and a 22 year old DC was brought in initially to learn from them but ended up playing a fair few games himself and racked up 7 MoM awards to arguably make him my best performing player. Also, Ishmail Yakabu returned for a second loan spell to cover for injuries in the final quarter and averaged an excellent 7.31 over his 12 starts.

I also made two excellent young attacking aquisitions. One 19 year old striker who managed 8 goals and 7 assists in 14 starts before breaking his leg and missing the rest of the season. In addition I found a 22 year old AMC whose worst stat is 7 (Heading) and thus would be a reasonably good league-two player! However, it seems he may have some mental issues as despite having a jovial personality, he spent half a season annoyed with me for daring to sub him off once during a game when he wasn't playing particularly well :/

My season started off reasonably well with all the new signings slotting in straight away. Then we faltered slightly (around the time my young striker broke his leg) and then spent most of the season hovering agonisingly close to a playoff spot but never managing to string enough results together to take one. That is until the last 10 games when things miraculously started going my way. The late push saw me push up into fourth spot. This was the highest I was likely to get since the teams above me had a sizeable point gap, but could easily fall again with several teams directly below me all within a win of overtaking. 16 points from 7 games proved enough to secure the playoff spot tho before my team collapsed and fizzled out in the last three games to lose 1:0 twice and then end on a miserable 0:0 draw.

Next up will be the playoff games which I will play another day as I'll need to put in lots of thought if I am to stand a chance of doing well in. I have drawn Scarborough who finished one place above me but with a 7 point gap. Also, I've never beaten them yet and following my last three games, morale is distinctly average.

Regardless of whatever happens in the playoffs I think I did well. More shopping will be required in the pre-season tho since I am losing both my DMCs to retirement aswell as the Welsh hero Iwan Roberts, leaving me with only one average target man Sad

Final league standings are:
Season: 07/08 Div: ECN Pos: 4th W: 17 D: 15 L: 10 F: 53 A: 38 Pts: 66

-- Rei
GraGoyle
ZomBie Lord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work... and yes I will pickup the game at some point... i hope Tounge

(Steven Wright)
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there is a sizeable fixlist for the patch, I decided to play my playoffs before applying it so I can use the friendlies to see how my formation is affected.

First leg against Scarborough was at home and we put in a decent performance. Certainly the better side but not really taking any of the chances and the 0:0 finish was no suprise. The away leg looked set to be an even less exciting match, and the only goal of the game didn't come until the 81st minute. Tired legs managed to put in one last burst of pace and Roberts connected with a cross from the right to take us into the playoff finals.

Unfortunatly, promotion was not to be this season. Despite taking the lead in the 59th minute, again from a cross on the left, within ten minutes Gateshead had fired back two in return and as the dominating side there was no way back for a demoralised Fisher.

So a third season in the sixth tier is in store for me. The patch is now applied tho, so i'll have to see if it makes any difference. Smile

-- Rei
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that Damian Scannell is being looked at by Watford, Nottingham Forest and Crystal Palace. Maybe, I shouldn't have judged him so quick and released him on a free in my game :/ Oh well, it won't matter too much if I can acquire my second Barnet loanee on a permenant deal Very Happy

-- Rei
GraGoyle
ZomBie Lord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, inside information Wink

He looks ok in my game, at the mo he's a maybe for me.

(Steven Wright)
NightSpirit
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woot! Season three finally sees Fisher Athletic promoted to the Conf National after an excellent performance in my second playoff final. Smile

I was getting a bit worried as the season drew to a close as my team seemed to suffer a loss of form. With 15 games to go I was sitting pretty in third with 5 points off 1st place and 8 points above dropping out of the playoffs but started dropping points at an alarming rate - interestingly enough it was a loss to eventual playoff finalists Altrincham that started the slide in form. The turning point came 10 games later during halftime away at Histon when we were 3-1 down and in danger of falling down to 6th place. A severe kick up the backside for the team saw them turn the game around to win 4-3. Not content with that, they proceeded to fire home 11 goals in the last four games to end the season in 2nd place.

Lancaster were dispatched easily enough 4-1 on aggregate over the two legs which I expected anyway since they'd never beaten me before in two seasons. Altrincham were my opponents in the final and I was determined to beat them. And beat them we did! 7-2 was the final score which was mainly down to Altrincham's keeper failing to make a single save EEK! .

So, my final league standing is as follows:
Pos 2nd W 21 D 12 L 9 F 67 A 37 Pts 75

If it wasn't for the manic last few games my goalscoring record would hardly be much to talk about but I did have the best defensive record in the league. However, a drawback of my tight defence has obviously been a drop in attractive football since despite never dropping below 9th all season my average attendance has dropped to only 40% of what it was last year Sad Therefore, next season's two objectives will be to stay in the division and to improve my style of play to win back the crowds.

-- Rei
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Zombie Nexus Forum Index -> Games All times are BST
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: